Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Listen of the week: Lykke Li, White Rabbits, new Passion Pit


I'll probably have a chance to shed more light on these listens later this week, but I wanted to share them now while I'm all pumped up about them.

First, my friend brought over the Lykke Li debut album, Youth Novels, last Friday for a dinner party at my house. I had never heard of this Swedish lady, but my friend promised that I would like her music, and indeed I do. When I asked my friend what Lykke Li sounds like, she told me it's along the same lines of indie electronica like Passion Pit and Peter Bjorn and John, and I was in immediately. The key to the PB&J sound is that Youth Novels was actually produced by Bjorn. I'm blessed to have such a good friend and to live in a world where I can listen to this.

I honestly can't even tell you how many times I've heard about White Rabbits in the past month, but I just tonight heard the band for the first time. The drum intro on "Percussion Gun" is instantly reminiscent of Bow Wow Wow's "Aphrodesiac" and Adam and the Ants' "Kings of the Wild Frontier." Thankfully, the White Rabbits song gets more original as the song progresses, and turns into something I'm going to be giving a closer listen to over the next few days. Check it here:



Lastly for now, the new Passion Pit CD, Manners, came out today. Last night the fellows kicked it SNL digital short style with their CD release party on a boat- yes, they were on a boat! Sweet. I hope to bring you some sort of news about that in the next few days. Til then, I keep listening to Passion Pit on repeat, in between plays of Lykke Li's "Little Bit," and my favorites so far are "Moth's Wings" and "The Reeling." I guess I'm on to something, because "The Reeling" seems to be the new single. Here's the music video released a few weeks ago:

No comments: